Tuesday, December 16, 2008

knitting update

I took this picture of the girls tonight. Arianna wanted me to post one of her knitting since the last one was crochet. She is doing great.

Ellen's is getting longer too.
The girls started out a while back holding my hands while I worked. I showed them how to crochet a long chain. You can't do much with a long chain though. Recently they showed interest in learning to knit since I've been doing so much knitting myself. So, then I sat next to them while they worked on their own pieces helping them as they needed it. I have been working a few rows every once in a while just so that they feel like they are getting somewhere. If you've ever knitted before you know how long it takes. It is so slow. I want to help them finish this project. Finishing is key! I'll go back and fix the problems and probably clean up the edges a little with my crochet hook. I hope that they will wear their little scarves with pride.

I remember learning to crochet from my grandmother when I was in elementary school. Even though I didn't practice for years I never completely forgot how to do it. When I started again a few years ago it all came back to me. It's kinda like riding a bike. I hope that even if this is the only project they work on for a while they'll have fond memories of the process and be able to pick it up again one day.

No comments: