Monday, October 26, 2009

Flu

The girls had the flu last week, or at least that's what I think they had. First Arianna started feeling bad with a headache and fever, then she got nauseous and started coughing. She was sick with a fever for about 3 days. Ellen came down with the exact symptoms 2 days after Arianna and had it about 4 days. I watched them closely and kept them home to rest. I gave them these natural remedies:


Starting from the left, I gave them echinacea and elderberry syrup. They are both immune boosters and elderberry is specifically good (studies show it shortens duration) for colds, flu, and bronchitis. Then there are the vitamins--the regular dose of multivitamins and the zinc and vitamin C combo for extra immunity support. I also gave them an assortment of homeopathic remedies. We also sat outside in the sun for Vit. D and had them drink tons of water. I told them to drink water even though they weren't thirsty. I believe that probably helped them more than anything.

The girls really did not like taking all these remedies, or drinking all the water. It is nice that they are old enough to understand that when you're sick you just have to do things you don't want to do. I'm not sure what if any of these things helped them get better. I'm just glad to be through it!

4 comments:

William Kruidenier said...

Glad they're better -- the best thing about letting it take its course is the antibodies they now have to help protect them in the future. Nice going!

kellycowan said...

what's that oscillo...one? and what kind of multi vitamin do they take? starting at what age?33

Kallie said...

I can totally sympathize. We hardly ever get sick around here, but with Matt working in the public school the whole H1N1 dirty pig flu was running rampant and he ending up getting it and then it made it's way to each member of the family. I have been searching for good herbal remedies for our children...so thanks for sharing!

Val at The Illustrated Garden said...

So glad your girls are feeling better!