Friday, January 21, 2011

New Recipes



I got this cookbook Appetite for Reduction
for Christmas. The author, Isa Chandra Moskowitz, has several other great vegan cookbooks but this one focused on dishes with healthier ingredients. She has cut out most oil, processed foods, and sugar. She uses whole fresh foods.

A lot of the recipes are spicy and a little too flavorful for my kids. The girls love bland food--plain sandwiches with no mustard or mayo and salad with no dressing! I might be making some of the recipes for just the grown ups because everything looks yummy to me.

The first thing I tried was this balsamic viniagrette recipe that I'll share. It is EXCELLENT. I love the use of cashews to make it creamy.

1/4 cup cashews (soaked in half cup water for at least an hour preferably overnight)
2 tablespoons chopped shallot
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 teaspoon agave nectar
3/4 teaspoons salt
a few pinches of fresh pepper

Put cashews and shallots in food processor and pulse to chop. Then add the rest of the ingredients and blend for 5 minutes scraping down the sides often. Transfer to sealable container and chill. Makes 1 cup dressing.

Sorry no pictures. We ate it too fast...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jen! I love when you share this sort of thing. Of course, I love all your other posts as well.

I'll be trying this recipe and looking for this book at our library ASAP!

Miss you. Looking forward to our next meal together.

Anonymous said...

Cashews make such great creamy sauces. Please, please post more recipes that are yummy. I am so tired of what I'm cooking....

Anonymous said...

jen, i didn't know you blogged! so excited to add you to my reader and learn more about you!

thank you so much for your faithful and sweet leadership at ballet each week. md loves it!